Tuesday

OUR SWIMMING POOL WAS ALL WET


In the 4 years we've lived in our house we've used the pool three times. Obviously we're not pool people. I thought about having the pool removed but everyone said that would lower my property value and I'd live to regret that decision. I even called the top pool inspector in the area and he told me over the phone not to tear out the pool, that I would regret the decision, my kid would never forgive me and my life would be less meaningful. Okay, he did say I'd regret the decision and that removing the pool would lower my property value, blah, blah, blah. Then he came over and actually looked at our pool.

After a long inspection of the pool, spa and all of the equipment he said the pool needed all new equipment, tile repairs, replastering, deck repairs, a deadly light removed and that the spa was on its last legs. Keep in mind he doesn't actually do the repairs so he wasn't trying to sell me on additional services. He just inspects pools for potential home buyers. He figured the cost to get the pool in working condition would be in the $35,000 to $40,000 range. Tearing it out would cost from $10,000 to $12,000. When I reminded him of his property value warning we both chuckled because any potential buyer would probably hire him to inspect our pool and once he gave them the bad news immediately $35-$40,000 would come off their offer. In actuality the pool was HURTING our property value as I had long suspected. Plus we were wasting tons of water and electricity. So, the decision to remove the pool was a no-brainer.